Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Yoga Evangelist

The first response I usually got when  I told my friends that I was taking a Yoga Philosophy class through the BIC was an almost freak-interest. I think they were shocked that the Honors College would provide a course like yoga, and shocked that their most nonathletic and uncoordinated pledge brother would sign up for a class like yoga. They quickly became used to seeing me and my mat either heading to class or after a practice at home, and they slowly began to show interest.

They started to ask about the poses, and wanted to look at the pictures in Light On Yoga. One day, my next door neighbor and good friend told me that he had bought a yoga mat online and wanted to do yoga with me! I was shocked, but excited. When his mat arrived he and I planned to do a practice and a little discussion of what I had been doing in class later that night.

I was a little anxious that I would look like a poser, but being the "nonathletic guy" of my friend group, Edmonds was a bit shocked that I could do some of the poses. We watched a few YouTube videos of pose instruction, and ended the practice with Shivasana and a discussion of the 8 Limbs of Yoga.

I was so happy that the practice went well, and Edmonds seemed to like doing yoga. It has certainly been really fun bringing these new ideas that yoga has shown me to my own friend group, and I hope that those I practice with begin to see yoga in a new light.

1 comment: