Thursday, November 19, 2015

Downward Facing Dizzy

On Thursday, I walked into yoga feeling great. I was in a great mood, had the night off of work, and I was ready to do some yoga. Class started normally, with some Downward Facing Dogs and some Tree Poses. Soon we progressed into Inversions. 

When I started my handstand, I noticed that I began to feel very dizzy. At first, I thought maybe I was doing the pose wrong, and I tried to readjust. My dizziness worsened. I stood up out of the pose and told Dr. Schultz that I wasn't feeling great. She recommended a different pose to try, and I continued on with my altered practice. After about 5 minutes, Dr. Schultz called us all back together and showed us how to perform a shoulder stand, and then a headstand. 

Not wanting to miss out on the new poses, I went back to my spot on the wall and tried my hardest to follow my teachers directions. The 5 minute break from inversions helped a ton; I felt like a brand new person. I was upside-down! I started to relax my face an focus my breathing, and quickly felt calm and attentive to my body.

My bout of dizziness was pretty weird. I'd never really felt that way in a pose. The break I took helped a lot though, and really taught me a valuable lesson. In yoga, and in life, sometimes you have to take a break to reassess before moving on. If I had continued in my dizziness through that handstand, I probably wouldn't have been so successful in the later part of my practice. I could have even hurt myself. We all need to step back sometimes and give ourselves a break, then, it may be helpful to flip things on their head, and see from a different perspective. Maybe I'm just reading too far into it...

No comments:

Post a Comment