Thursday, November 19, 2015

The Dog, Again

I know I talk about Shiner a lot on this blog, but I honestly believe that canine companionship has furthered my yoga journey in many ways.

My first yoga class ever, we learned, Downward-Facing Dog.
A week or two later, after practicing the pose daily, Shiner the dog ate my eye-pillow and gave me a yoga-breakthrough.
Midway through the semester I met Milo, Dr. Schultz's Golden Retriever, and Milo set the tone for an amazing yoga session.
Then, Shiner again reminded me the importance of detachment (and of putting away valuable items).

Now, Shiner joins me in most of my practices as my silent coach and fan.
When I spread out my yoga may in my bedroom, Shiner hops up on my bed, and lays down with her head resting on the edge, ready to observe my every move. Admittedly, I was a little creeped-out at first. Shiner rarely falls asleep, usually contenting herself to studying my poses, and her glare made me feel a bit nervous.

Obviously, I got used to it. Shiner is not an essential for my home practice- there are times when our schedules don't meet up and I must practice alone. But, for the most part, she is my companion in yoga. The domestic Dog has a certain energy that radiates positivity. Puppies are great teachers of detachment. Dogs are great examples of the fluctuation between rajas, tamas, and sattvas.
I strongly suggest that anyone new to yoga get a roommate with a puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment