Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Goodbye Advil

Aches and pains are as much a part of life as laughter and smiles. From the day we are born to the day we die, our bodies get sore and hurt and trouble us in manifold ways. Thankfully, in my current life as a College Student my body doesn't hurt as much as it did years ago when I was a High School Wrestler, or as much as it will in coming years when I'm an Arthritic Old Man, but I still have my days of discomfort.

Lately, I've been staying up late at my desk studying. After hours of unchanging posture, I often notice that my back is sore, or I have other random aches. I also write a lot, and tend to do so with a feverish flick and firm grip that always leaves my hand in pain. In the past, I would have taken a few Advil and tried to forget about it, and this method worked great! My aches would usually subside, often not to return, and I could continue on my day. However, now that I have Yoga, I've replaced this effective chemical method. 

Now when I start to feel sore or my body starts to ache, I break out my yoga mat and get to work. 
When my back hurt from sitting too much, I found some yoga postures really helped to ease the pain, and much more quickly than an Advil regime would have. Although I don't have a moral aversion or any other type of issue with OTC and other medicines, I do think that there is an almost calming aspect of healing the body in more organic ways. Yoga has become my go-to remedy for various minor hurts. 

1 comment: