Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Bhagavad Gita: Arjuna's Dilema

         I really enjoyed reading the Intro and first few chapters of The Bhagavad Gita this weekend. I found the text strangely reminiscent to The Illiad and a few other great texts I had read in the past, and had no time maneuvering the very clear translation.
          The first chapters of The Gita show Arjuna, a great prince and little brother of the rightful King, preparing to go to war against, “fathers and grandfathers, teachers, uncles, and brothers, sons and grandsons, in-laws and friends.” Arjuna is certainly in a tough dilemma. His brother should have inherited the throne from his uncle Dhiritarashthra, but the boy’s uncle, favoring his own son, disobeyed the King’s orders and refused to relinquish the throne to Yudhishthira. Arjuna now must choose to fight for what is right- his brother becoming king, against an army of his closest friends and family. Many scholars argue that this conflict established in the beginning of The Gita is a metaphor for Arjuna’s inner conflict, but either way, Arjuna must decide whether to stand up for what is right, even if it means going against all he knows and loves.

          I have had a similar conflict, although not of such epic proportions. When I had set my mind on Baylor, found an acceptable roommate, and attended Orientation, I was faced with a huge choice. Like many 18 year olds, I still had no idea what I wanted to choose for a career, but had to pick a major before I could become seriously invested in my university academics. I had studied all the options and knew my strengths, talents, and passions well enough, and I knew I wanted to be an English Major. However, my friends and some family tried to convince me of a more reasonable and direct route to a well-paying career. Most of my buddies were going to attend Business Schools and couldn’t understand why I would pick something with no clear career line after graduation. After having an internal conflict and after being mentored by my own Sri Krishna, my father, I decided to major in English and Political Science, and also to join the BIC. Although it may be too soon to tell, but I think I chose the right option. 

1 comment: